Thursday, November 22, 2007

A distressing situation

I am no learned scholar. I have not read any of the scriptures of any religion. But, I have always felt that no religion ever encourages violence, and even if it does, it does in the context of fighting for justice.

There has been so much of violence and protests in the name of religion that it I am beginning to feel sick. On one end there is fighting in kashmir..the other end there is an out-cry on the ram-sethu project..and in between all this is the utterly shocking tehelka expose on the 2002 gujarat riots!

Why is there so much trouble?? Whenever a person rebels it is because that he believes that injustice has been done in his case. But what troubles me is that they some how bring religion into the equation and then all hell breaks loose. Should there not be a mediator of sort who should tell them that it might be because of a mis-understanding??

Well, I agree that everything is not a mis-understanding and that some awful things are done purposefully. But is violence always the answer?? This is where religion helps people. Most religions I know say that you should fight for justice. This, I think, justifies a person's intention of engaging in violence. But is this right?? one person starts the fight and obviously gathers people with similar ideologies around him to fight for justice. Should there not be a compromise somewhere in between all this?!!

It is a shame that all this violence is present in India and the world in the name of religion. When will this ever stop? Can the peace, preached by all religions, ever reign supreme???

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You might be surprised to note that according to a few scholars, the human race' capacity for violence has continued to be on the decline for a long time

ranjit said...

srinivasan,

I saw that presentation and I do not know if I would agree completely. But as long as there are such violent incidents based on religion, I would still feel sorry for the state of the world we live in!